November 30, 2022 White Sands National Park

 


White Sands National Park












Sunset @ White Sands National Park (Interdune Boardwalk)












Thank God I was able to do the sunset here. I did most of my sledding and photography right across the Interdune boardwalk where I pretty much had the area to myself. The Sand is very soft and cool. It's more worth it to walk it without your shoes; I had my socks on. (Just remember to dust off the sands in your socks, shoes, and supplies before you get into your car. It was a pain in the butt to vacuum it all before I returned my rental car days later). I had a good time here though I had only two hours. I do wish to come back some day to do the other hikes and prolong and perfect my sledding. It be nice to bring friends or family to do this one. The Sled if anything is almost as big as a check in luggage. I got one at the visitors center and only had an hour worth of sledding before I had to return it (You can keep it but I didn't have the room for it so you can sell it back for $5 credit). It is $24.99 brand new. The used ones are $10 if you can find any. If you come here often its best to keep it but that wasn't my case. Overall, it wasn't worth the $25 hour rental ( I had to return the sled before the visitor center closed before anyone is wondering why I'm making a big deal out of this). Additionally, this is also my first exposure to the site of adobe houses. The visitor center is shaped like one. You will be seeing this structured housing lots as you drive all over New Mexico. 

Visitor Center info and pics: Click here

Note: The closest airport here is El Paso Airport (ELP) which is an hour and 30 min avg drive. So three hours roundtrip for me since I stayed in El Paso during the night. Alamogordo is the closest town from White Sands, about 15 mins drive away. Stay there if you don't feel like driving much or if you had a long day. It has some nice eateries, hotels and shopping for your daily needs. 

Thank you Harely of Colorado for informing me about this destination. And thank you God for making this White Sands experience a good one. 



Next blog: Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Comments