Last post of the year: Hilo Adventures 12/27-29. Kamehameha Statue, Wailuku river, Kaumana Caves, Kilauea volcanoes, Punalu'u black sand beach and more!

 12/27/21

Kamehameha Statue/Waiakea Pond
















Liliuokalani Gardens
















Carlsmith Beach Park
















Richardson black sand beach










Grindz: Kens pancake house












First day done. Just walked around for the most part. The beaches were nice but mainly filled with tourist. Supposedly, you can swim with turtles in Carlsmith beach but I didn't see any. 

12/28/21

Bears Coffee & Deli








*Update 3/28/22: Bears has closed for good. :( Food was really good.*

Wailuku Falls



Boiling Pots






Note: Hiking to the falls and pots are no longer permissible. 

Kaumana Caves: Left side







R. Side



Note: The Right side is much longer than the left side. Did not finish it. The R.side also have lower ceilings so prepare to do Spider-man crawls. Last and very important, you must have good shoes and flashlights. If one isn't checked out, don't bother doing it. At the end of the left cave (finished) is private property and there is a trail but I ain't going to do it. 

Pohakuloa and Grinds: Blaine's Drive inn



Note: My brother just wanted to see his former base. Not recommended unless if you are driving to Kona. Also, don't let the sky fool you, it is cold up here since it is in Mauna Kea. 

Punalu'u Beach (Black sand beach)













Transformers Special: Sharkticons invade Big Island





Note: I was here back in 2009 and I was the only guy with my dad with one turtle I remember. It is infested with tourists now. This beach is in the Ka'u region; an hour drive away from Hilo. 

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (Puna region)








Note: Kilauea was erupting. The best way to see the lava is most likely in the chain of craters road which was backed up from what the park ranger told me. I did it in the past and be ready to drive for nearly 40-45 mins down another 40-45 min coming back up. You can see the Halemaumau crater from various viewpoints. The last few pics are from the Volcano house by the visitor center. Come here for nightfall as the crater glows due to the lava. 

Grindz: Little Caesars





12/29/21






The car that took me places. Shopped around Hilo town and found the Costco version of Hilo. It actually sells Kirkland products and doesn't require membership. I wish I could stay in Big Island longer. Unlike Maui or Kauai, Big Island is more of a week affair since you also have the Kona and Kohala regions to venture into. Not to mention, I would like to see the green sand beach in the Ka'u region. 

My beliefs and finale: As some of you may know I believe in Jesus. And this day my 1PM flight going back to Oahu was canceled and I had to still had to run into town to pick up some stuff for my sister and my car rental was due at 11AM. The place where I had to pick some stuff up for my sis opened at 10AM. When my flight got canceled, it was around 930AM. I was frustrated as you could tell. And they did this over my google notifications rather than calling me to re-schedule. I had to, of course, call Hawaiian Airlines about this pressing matter. 

Pay attention here too because I recommend getting a Hawaiian Airlines account because if you are a member they will help you quicker otherwise you stay on the line for quite some time. The lady came on but was very soft on the phone. Geez, if you ain't disappointed by now, you probably be irked. Anyways, we tried to get an earlier flight but she "claimed" there wasn't one but this will be vital later. We were booked for a 4PM trip. Ok, better than nothing.

So we went to grab the products at Two ladies kitchen precisely at 10AM. Egad! Long line! So we were thinking of just paying the extra late fee for the rental car since our flight is now at 4PM. Then we finally got the products at 1045AM. So we have 15 mins to haul shell into the airport but also re-fuel the tank if me and my brother decided to change the course of action. Rental for a small car we had was $90 a day so keep in mind, it is a lot ever since these lockdowns. We decided to do it! 

So here is me rushing to the airport which I tried to not drive like a maniac. Got to the gas station about 1055AM. So we returned the car a little over 11AM. The lady only charged us what was due in the contract. So we decided to just relax for 3-4 hours in the airport. A kind service rep decided to help us check-in and she heard about our story and told us there was seats available for 11:30AM! Since we had 15 mins left, we decided to take it as well. Even the kind rep was asking us who was the phone receptionist was and why she did book us at 4pm to which I replied: I forgot who she was. Big Mahalos to that service rep lady.

So we boarded the plane sitting in different assigned seats (it was full). I got to sit with a lovely elderly couple going home to Oahu as well. While I was sitting, God came in my mind, and then I realized only he made this possible. Talk about how he was able to arrange all this from getting my rental car due on time and the kind receptionist assisting us which allowed us coming home earlier than expected. Hallelujah! All things possible through God. I never stopped thanking him even when I got home. Thank you Jesus for a safe trip and back. Especially the end part. Woo!

Comments